This meal is actually vegan, and wow, was it delicious. Perfect for the cooler weather we've been having recently.
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable or coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 package extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 small bunch of kale, washed and torn
- 1 C. coconut milk (can substitute lite coconut milk, but it will be less creamy)
In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes until softened. Add the garlic and saute for one minute, until fragrant. Add the squash and saute 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned on all sides. Add the tofu and season all ingredients with the curry powder, ginger, cumin, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tofu is browned on all sides. Add the kale and cook until slightly wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the coconut milk and heat through. Taste for seasoning. Serve over rice or another grain, like bulgur, wheat berries, quinoa, or farro.