Friday, June 24, 2011

The Best Blueberry Muffins

We got our first container of blueberries from our CSA this week, and the first thing my older son said was "Can we make blueberry muffins?" So the crisps, crumbles, and cobblers will have to wait until the next batch.

There are two things about this recipe that make it the best. First, the lemon really enhances the blueberry flavor. And second, the sprinkle of sugar on top gives it a great "crust". These do not last long in my house.


Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 C. flour
  • 3/4 C. sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 C. blueberries
  • zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/3 C. vegetable oil
  • 1/3 C. milk
  • 1 egg
  • sugar, for sprinkling
In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Carefully add the blueberries and stir to coat. In a separate bowl, mix the lemon zest, juice, vegetable oil, milk, and egg. Add to the dry ingredients and mix only until just combined. Spoon the batter into greased muffin cups (fill about 2/3 of the way). Sprinkle the top  of each muffin with a little sugar. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes until light golden brown. Cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, then remove and cool completely. Makes 10-12 muffins.

2 comments:

  1. These look awesome. My 4 y.o. is on a muffin kick and bluberries were on sale, so I was planning on making some. Think I should try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both of those ingredient ideas. Yummy! I have a sweet treat linky on my blog every weekend (it'll be up tonight) and I'd love it if you'd stop by and link up your muffins. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete