Saturday, September 17, 2011

Pumpkin Crepes

Fall is in the air around here. And the first thing I think of when I think of fall is pumpkin! I have lots of great recipes for pumpkin (including a fantastic pumpkin pie - look for that in November), but today I decided to experiment and make pumpkin crepes. I enjoy pumpkin pancakes a lot, but this morning I wanted something a little lighter.


My go-to crepe recipe is my friend Emmy's, so I started tweaking that and here's what I came up with. I served it with some pumpkin butter that I happened to have, but if you don't have any, a little maple syrup would be great too.

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 C. pureed pumpkin
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. each of ground ginger, ground nutmeg, ground allspice, and/or ground cloves
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 C. milk
  • 1 C. AP flour
Directions:

In a large bowl, mix the pumpkin, spices, and sugar. Add the eggs and stir to combine. Add the melted butter and stir to combine. Then add the milk. While stirring constantly, slowly add the flour. I find it's easier to add by 1/4 cups, so I don't accidentally dump the whole thing in (something that would happen to me). Adding the flour slowly ensures that the batter isn't lumpy. You could also use a mixer, but I'm not about to drag that out early in the morning...

Set the batter aside for a few minutes. Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add a small amount of butter to the pan and allow it to melt (alternately you can have a bowl of melted butter to brush the pan with). Once the pan is hot, add about 1/4 C. of batter to the center of the pan and immediately swirl the pan to coat. Cook about 2 minutes, until the crepe has set, then carefully flip it over and cook for 1 more minute. Fold into a triangle and put on a covered plate to keep warm. Repeat until you use all the batter. It should make about 8-10 crepes.

Serve with pumpkin butter or maple syrup!

No comments:

Post a Comment