Friday, March 16, 2012

Fluffy Chocolate Frosting

This is a big baking week for me. My older son also has his birthday this week, so we made cupcakes for his class too. Most of you probably know this by now, but I am not a huge fan of chocolate cake or frosting (or even chocolate ice cream). But my 6 year old just loves it, so chocolate cupcakes with frosting were the final choice.


For the cupcakes, I used my friend Emmy's recipe. She also has a fantastic chocolate ganache frosting recipe on there, but it is a little rich, even for my chocolate-loving 6 year old.

So I whipped up this really easy chocolate frosting. This recipe makes just enough for 24 cupcakes. If you like a lot of frosting or are making a layer cake, you might want to double it.

Ingredients:

  • 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 C. powdered sugar
  • 1/4 C. cocoa powder (you can add more if you want to make it even more chocolatey)
  • 2 Tbsp. milk
Use an electric mixer to beat the butter on medium speed until it is nice and fluffy. Slowly add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and milk and mix on medium-high speed until the frosting is nice and fluffy. You may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl to get everything combined.

I don't like to refrigerate this frosting - it changes the texture. So make it the night before or the day of. Store the cupcakes in a tightly sealed container and they will keep for a couple days.



No comments:

Post a Comment