Monday, May 14, 2012

Pound Cake with Fresh Strawberries

Want to know a secret? I made dessert for Mother's Day this year. Since I don't find cooking to be a chore, and I made it the day before, I didn't mind. Besides, our family celebration included my mom, my mother-in-law, my sister, and my brother-in-law's future mother-in-law (got that?), so it's not all about me. :)

Anyway, I had picked up two huge pints of fresh strawberries at the farmer's market this week, so I wanted to make something that would go well with those and that would be easy to make ahead and transport.


I can't believe I've never posted a recipe for pound cake on the blog before. It's one of my favorites. I use lemon extract to elevate the flavor (by now, I think you know how I feel about lemon in my desserts), but you could easily substitute vanilla extract (or even orange extract). I also use cake flour instead of all-purpose since it makes the final result less heavy.

Ingredients:
  • 12 Tbsp. unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
  • 3/4 C. granulated sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 Tbsp. milk
  • 1 tsp. lemon extract
  • 1 1/2 C. cake flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
In a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the milk and lemon extract and beat on low speed until just combined. Add the cake flour, baking powder, and salt, and beat on medium speed until just combined. Over-mixing will make the cake tough.


Pour the batter into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper (or buttered and floured).


Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes, until the top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.



Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove to a wire rack and cool completely.


Serve with fresh strawberries and whipped cream or ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment