Saturday, May 21, 2011

Buttermilk Chocolate Cupcakes (a.k.a. "Red" Velvet)

I am trying to replicate the original red velvet cake, which was "red" due to a chemical reaction between the cocoa, buttermilk, and vinegar in the recipe. I really dislike the taste of food coloring (and I think red is the worst), so I was hopeful that I could get it to work. In my reading, I discovered that you need to have "natural" cocoa, not the alkalized, dutch-processed type. I am pretty sure I have the right kind of cocoa, but my cupcakes turned out more of a light brown instead of the reddish brown I was hoping for. Nonetheless, they are very tasty. I've seen some recipes that add pureed beets to get a redder color so maybe I'll try that next time. The frosting I used is a "cooked" frosting - if you've never tried it, you're in for a treat. It is light and not too sweet, the perfect compliment.




Cupcakes
  • 1/2 C. unsalted butter (1 stick), softened
  • 1 1/2 C. sugar
  • 2 eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 C. cake flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder (natural, not dutch-processed)
  • 1 C. buttermilk, at room temperature
  • 1 tsp. white vinegar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda

Using a mixer, beat butter and sugar together until  fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then add vanilla and cocoa powder. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt.  Add the flour mixture and buttermilk in small batches to the mixer, beating after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula to make sure all of the flour is incorporated.. In a small bowl, mix vinegar and baking soda - it will fizz slightly. Then incorporate the vinegar mixture into the batter. Fill 24 greased cupcake tins about 2/3 full of batter. Bake at 350 for 15-17 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from tins. Cool completely before frosting.


"Cooked" Frosting

  • 5 Tbsp. AP flour
  • 1 C. milk
  • 1 C. (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 1 C. granulated sugar (not confectioner's sugar)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, whisk flour into milk, stirring constantly until it thickens, about 5 minutes. It will be very thick. Set aside to cool completely. In a mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the vanilla and the cooled flour-milk mixture. Beat on low to incorporate, then turn the mixer up to the highest speed setting. Beat until it resembles whipped cream. Resist the temptation to eat spoonfuls of the frosting from the bowl and frost your cupcakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment