Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Turkey Stroganoff

This is a quick comfort meal for me - it reminds me of something my mom would make when I was younger. Instead of the traditional beef, I use ground turkey breast, which has very little fat. I also use non-fat greek yogurt in place of sour cream. And I serve it over whole wheat pasta. The flavor of the onions and mushrooms really hides the fact that this is a healthier version of a traditional dish!


Ingredients:

  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 lb. ground turkey breast
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cups assorted mushrooms, roughly chopped
  • 1 tsp. ground mustard
  • 3/4 C. non-fat greek yogurt
  • 1/4 C. mayonnaise
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 8 oz. pasta
Cook the pasta according to package directions. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add the ground turkey breast, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks. When it's about half-way brown, add the onion and mushrooms, and cook until the meat is brown and the onions and mushrooms have softened. Turn the heat down to low. In a small bowl, mix the ground mustard, yogurt, and mayo. Add to the pan, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook for 1-2 minutes until the sauce coats everything. Serve over the cooked pasta. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment