Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cranberry-Chocolate Chip Scones

Today, the kids had a 2 hour delay so I decided to bake scones with them to pass the time before leaving for school. Since my older son was involved, chocolate chips had to be part of the equation! You can omit the cranberries, but without them, I find the scones to be just too sweet - the tartness of the cranberries really adds an extra dimension.


2 C. AP flour
1/4 C. sugar
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 C. (1 stick) unsalted cold butter, cut into cubes
1/2 C. chocolate chips
1/2 C. dried cranberries (or other dried fruit)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2/3 C. buttermilk

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Stir in the chocolate chips and cranberries. Add the buttermilk and vanilla and stir until just combined.

Turn dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and shape into a rectangle. Slice into 8 triangles. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool slightly and then enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I love fruit & chocolate combos and these sound (and look) DELICIOUS, ann-Marie! I can just taste them with some nice English breakfast tea and maybe a smear of good orange marmalade on them, too 9yes, i have to go over-the-top).

    I make an oat scone occasionally (when my mom was living, weekly, well biweekly, on Sundays - we alternated scones with Belgian waffles, lol). I have some variations and one version has the oats, as well as craisins with a little orange zest and pecans. I tend to throw mini chocolate chips into pancakes and waffles (Trinity especially loves those) but I have never put them in scones but hmmmm. Bread & chocolate is a nice classic combo, though. I have Floridian friends who do the thing with chocolate sauce over sweet buttermilk biscuits and I found it pretty awesome but never made that myself.

    ReplyDelete