Monday, February 21, 2011

Easy Roast Chicken

Well, it appears winter has returned to Northern VA. One meal I love to make when the weather is yucky is roast chicken. Not only is it super easy and delicious, but it actually doesn't take a lot of work. What it does take is time, so this is one that I save for days when I don't have a lot of running around to do.


I love using a whole chicken, because it's really economical; I get so many more meals out of it than if I just buy the parts. And the leftovers are so versatile: sandwiches, salads, soups, stir-fry. The possibilities are endless. And of course, I save the carcass to make homemade chicken stock, which is so much better than anything you can buy at the store. Look for my recipe for that (and chicken noodle soup) in a couple of days.




Easy Roast Chicken


1 roasting chicken (4-6 lbs)
4-6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
1 large onion, thickly sliced
4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
4-6 small potatoes, quartered (I leave the skin on)
1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste


Put the chicken in a small roasting pan (I just use a 9x13 baking pan). Place the onions, carrots, potatoes, and garlic around the perimeter. Drizzle everything with the olive oil, being sure to rub it evenly over the chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast the chicken in a 425 degree oven for 60-90 minutes, or until the juices run clear. Let the chicken rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.

1 comment: