Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl Feast

I love a good excuse to cook all day. So, in honor of the Super Bowl, I decided to make pulled pork sandwiches and broccoli slaw, with nachos for an appetizer, and brownies for dessert.


I had never made pulled pork before, but it's surprisingly easy. You just need some time.


Rub a 2 lb pork loin with the spices of your choosing (I used 1 tsp each of chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, allspice, garlic powder, and salt). Then in a dutch oven over medium heat, brown the pork loin about 2 minutes per side. Top the pork loin with sliced onions, cover the pot and roast in a 300 degree oven for 2-4 hours, until the pork shreds easily with tongs.


Serve on rolls with barbeque sauce, if desired.

I am a big fan of cole slaw - for something different, I bought a bag of broccoli slaw and used my regular slaw dressing. Combine 3/4 cup of mayonnaise, 2 Tbsp sour cream or greek yogurt, 2 Tbsp sugar, 2 Tbsp white vinegar, 1 Tbsp dry mustard, 1 tsp celery seed, and 1 tsp salt. Mix with whatever shredded veggies you're using and chill for several hours before serving.



For the nachos, I sauteed onions and bell peppers in olive oil, then added a can of black beans, a small can of green chiles, and 1 cup of salsa.




Spread the bottom of a 9x9 square pan with tortilla chips, top with the bean mixture and finish with pepper-jack cheese. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve with extra tortilla chips, sour cream, or guacamole, if desired.




P.S. I cheated and made brownies from a box this time. I do have a great scratch brownie recipe, which I'll share another time.



1 comment: