Sunday, March 6, 2011

Bacon Pancakes

I would have a tough time being a vegetarian, simply because I love bacon. I find that pork bacon works best in this recipe, but you could also try turkey bacon. This recipe makes about 10 medium-sized pancakes, but it's easily doubled.




4 slices bacon, finely chopped

1 C.  flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt

1 C. milk
1 egg, beaten
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract


Fry the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Then drain on a paper towel. Pour out the excess bacon grease (never down the drain, though - I keep a jar under my sink for cooking grease, and throw it in the trash when it's full), but save the skillet for cooking the pancakes.
   
While the bacon is cooking, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl - I use my pyrex 4 cup liquid measure, because it makes pouring the batter easy. Add the wet ingredients and stir just to combine. Allow the batter to stand for about 5 minutes, then mix in the crispy bacon pieces.




Heat the skillet back to medium heat. Pour the batter into the skillet and cook until bubbles start to form on the surface of th pancake. Then flip and cook for 1 minute more.




Serve with maple syrup. The sweet and salty combination is delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment