Friday, March 4, 2011

Roti (Indian Flatbread)

I love Indian food. My Indian cooking repetoire is pretty limited, but I like to try new recipes when I can. Today, I wanted to make some bread to go with a quick Indian dinner I was making. I didn't have time to make a yeast-based flat bread, so I decided to try my hand at roti, which is kind of like an Indian tortilla. 


2 1/2 C. bread flour
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 C. warm water

Mix together the flour and oil. Slowly add the water, stirring until the dough starts to come together and form a ball. Turn dough out onto counter and knead, adding a little flour if the dough is too sticky. Let dough rest for 10 minutes, covered with a dish towel.


Heat a skillet over medium heat. Take a golf ball size piece of dough and roll it into a small circle (I put the dough between parchment paper, which keeps things from getting too messy).





Pour a little oil to the skillet and then add the rolled out dough. Cook until bread puffs up, about 1-2 minutes. Then flip and cook the other side for another 1-2 minutes.



Keep the roti covered with a towel or plastic wrap, while you cook the rest. Sprinkle with salt or brush with melted butter, if desired.


Serve with a dish that has a lot of sauce that you can mop up with the bread. Yum.


This is Chicken Tikka Masala with rice - I sauteed chicken breast and onions and used a jar of Tikka Masala sauce that I had in the pantry. It's a tomato-yogurt sauce with lots of Indian spices. Someday, I will learn how to make it from scratch!

1 comment:

  1. Tikka Masala is my favorite Indian dish. If you ever find a good (easy?) recipe, please share!! I love roti and naan, great idea to make it at home.

    ps: I see that you have a great little helper in the kitchen ;)

    ReplyDelete