Friday, March 25, 2011

Creamy Clam Chowder


This is not a typical New England clam chowder. I served it with a salad and these yummy cheddar cheese scones from my friend Emmy's blog.


  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4-5 ribs celery, chopped
  • 4-6 small potatoes, quartered
  • 4-6 carrots, chopped
  • 3/4 C. butter
  • 3/4 C. AP flour
  • 4 C. milk or half-and-half
  • 10 oz. clams
  • 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • ground black pepper to taste

  • In a skillet over medium heat, saute the onions, celery, potatoes and carrots in a small amount of olive oil or butter. After vegetables begin to brown, add water to cover, and cook until tender.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, then whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in milk and stir constantly until it thickens. Stir in vegetables and remove from the heat.
Optional: Puree the mixture in a blender until smooth. I love to do this. I have a Vitamix blender because my younger son needs his food blended for his g-tube - this thing is the Maserati of blenders and can handle anything. Before I needed a super-blender, I would just use an immersion blender.
Stir in clams, vingear, and salt. Season with pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment