Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Potato and Onion Quiche

Those who know me well will not be surprised that I wanted to celebrate Pi Day (3/14). When I was a high school math teacher, we celebrated this "holiday" every year by allowing the students to bring and eat pie in class. 

This time of year is very hectic for me, as both of my sons were born this week (they are turning 3 and 5 this year), so I only had time to make one pie. Don't despair - I love pie, and as local fruit comes into season, you will see lots of pie recipes on this blog!

Since I had to make dinner anyway, I decided to make a quiche. Because it was a Monday, and we try to keep our Mondays meatless, I made a potato and onion quiche. This quiche can be time consuming, so I made a simple crust - I don't miss the butter from a traditional crust recipe, since the quiche itself is so rich.



For the crust:
1 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup cold water        

In a medium size bowl, combine flour and salt with fork. In a measuring cup, whisk oil and water to thicken. Pour into flour and mix with fork, until combined. 


Press into pie plate.



For the filling:
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
4-6 small red potatoes, thinly sliced
5 eggs, beaten
1/2 C. milk
1/2 C. shredded cheese (I used parmesan)
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Saute onions for about 10 minutes, until they start to caramelize. Add potatoes to pan. Cook and stir until potatoes are tender, about 15 more minutes.
While the potatoes and onions are cooking, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.

Pour potato and onion mixture into pie crust. 



Pour the egg mixture onto the potatoes, then sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes or until brown and set throughout.


Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I know the meatless is all good but cannot help but think of adding a little bacon or leftover cubed ham...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete