Tuesday, March 8, 2011

BLT Wraps with Tangy Avocado Mayo

As I've mentioned before, there are some nights when I need a quick and easy recipe. Sandwich wraps are a snap to put together and are easily customized to what you have on hand. Since I had some leftover bacon from the bacon pancakes, I decided to make a riff on a BLT.

BLT Wraps with Tangy Avocado Mayo


Saute 4 slices of bacon, finely chopped, in a skillet over medium heat. Once the bacon starts to brown, add half an onion, diced, and cook until everything is browned and crispy. Drain on a paper towel.

For the mayo, in a small bowl, mash the flesh of one large avocado with a fork. Add 1 teaspoon of lime juice and half a teaspoon of salt. Then mix in 1/4 cup of mayonnaise until blended.


To assemble the wraps, lay a flour tortilla on a plate (I like the soft taco size). Spread a thin layer of the mayo, then top with some of the bacon/onion mixture, some diced tomatoes, and some lettuce (I used arugula).


Fold in the sides and roll the tortilla up, placing the seam on the bottom. Repeat to make 4 small wraps. Slice each in half and serve.

There will probably be some mayo left. Cover and keep in the fridge for a day or two. It is great on burgers or sandwiches.

To go along with the wraps, I made a quick chickpea salad. In a medium bowl, combine one can of chickpeas, drained; half a cucumber, diced; half an onion, diced; 1 large tomato diced; and 1/4 cup of chopped basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then toss with 1 tablespoon each of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

1 comment:

  1. I usually make hummus and use it as a spread for wraps and sandwiches but I will definitely try your avocado mayo!!

    ReplyDelete