Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Spiced Carrot Nut Bread

I had a bunch of shredded carrots in the fridge and didn't want them to go to waste. I find carrot cake too rich, but this bread is perfect - not too sweet at all.


3/4 C. white sugar
1/4 C. brown sugar
3/4 C. vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 C. AP flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 pinch salt
1 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup chopped pecans (or other nuts)


In a large bowl, combine the sugars, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients until smooth. Add carrots and nuts and mix until combined. Pour batter into greased 9x5 loaf pan.




Bake at 350 for 60 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, and then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. Although delicious, this turned out dry and crumbly for me - I'm not sure what I did wrong. But the batter reminded me of cookie dough, so I made it again with minor adjustments. I'll post the cookie recipe on my and my sisters' food blog (yummyfooddance.blogspot.com) if you want to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear that. Mine turned out perfectly moist. My only guess is that it had something to do with the leavening (either too much or maybe it was past its date). I'm following your blog now - those cookies sound yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete