Thursday, July 7, 2011

Homemade Pesto

I love basil so much that I am growing a huge pot of it on my patio. It is ridiculously easy to grow, but to keep it growing well, you need to prune it judiciously. So what to do with all that basil? Make pesto, of course!

Traditionally, pesto was made with a mortar and pestle, but I don't have time for that. Cue my Vitamix (a food processor or mini-chopper also works well). Most pesto recipes call for pine nuts, but it is harder for me to find them now, especially since I don't want to buy the ones from China. So I used almonds instead and the result was just as delicious.

Pesto can be used in all sorts of recipes. This recipe makes about 8 servings worth, so the first night, I used half of it to top some cheese tortellini. Then I spread some on tortillas to make veggie wraps, mixed some into egg salad, and added some to scrambled eggs. It's also delicious on white pizza, as a topping for grilled chicken or fish, or as a spread for a crusty baguette topped with fresh tomatoes. Yum!


Ingredients:

  • 2 C. basil leaves
  • 1/2 C. slivered almonds
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1/4 C. crumbled cheese (pecorino, parmigiano reggiano, romano, etc)
  • 1/2 C. good quality extra-virgin olive oil (do not skimp on this)
  • pinch of salt
Add the basil, almonds, and garlic to a blender or food processor and pulse for several minutes until chopped finely. Add the cheese and pulse to combine. Slowly add the olive oil and blend until combined. Taste and add salt as desired. Store covered in the refrigerator - it will keep for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment