Friday, July 8, 2011

Watermelon Salad

I never used to like watermelon. I found it to be ridiculously sweet (it is mainly sugar water, after all). But then I was introduced to the concept of pairing something salty with watermelon. What a revelation!

My friend Emmy's blog reminded me the other day of one of my favorite summer salads. Mine includes a few more ingredients, but it's the same basic premise. Don't bother making this salad if watermelon isn't in season. It just won't taste the same.


Ingredients:

  • ripe seedless watermelon
  • salt
  • sliced cucumbers
  • chopped mint leaves
  • sliced sweet onion
  • crumbled feta cheese
  • balsamic vinegar (splurge on the good quality stuff - you won't be disappointed)
Dice the watermelon and place into serving bowls. Sprinkle with salt. Add the cucumbers, mint, onion, and feta. Drizzle with the vinegar, toss gently, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment