Sunday, January 8, 2012

Goals for the New Year

Here are some food and cooking related goals that I have for the upcoming year. Please share yours in the comments below!

1. Expand our support of local sources of food.
We've already signed for our 4th year of the CSA at Great Country Farms. And thanks to my awesome brother-in-law and soon to be sister-in-law, we're trying out some deliveries from South Mountain Creamery (in addition to milk/butter/cheese, they also have eggs and meats, as well as other locally-sourced food). I'd also like to visit a farmer's market every week - the one just down the street is only open from May-October, so I'll have to venture out a little further.

2. Continue to eat less meat, maybe even just once or twice a week. 
I'd like us to eat more fish and rely on locally-sourced meat. I'd really like to eliminate processed meat, like deli meat, hot dogs/sausages, and bacon. Honestly, we don't eat most of those regularly, but the bacon will be tough for me.

3. Try to replace some processed foods with things I can make at home. 
I'd like to make bread-baking a weekly activity, as well as replace some other foods that we regularly buy (especially snacks). This past year, I eliminated boxed desserts (cakes, muffins, brownies) and some snacks (granola bars, granola), but I know there is more I can do. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

4. Continue growing a vegetable garden and experiment with canning.
I would like to grow even more things this year. Last year, I had success with herbs, lettuce, and cucumbers, but the crazy July heat torpedoed everything else. I have always been nervous about canning, but I'd like to try to learn. If you have any tips on either of the above, I'd be grateful!

5. Learn some new cooking techniques.
Thanks to my sisters, I have a gift certificate to take a class at Open Kitchen. There are so many interesting choices, I don't know what to pick!

Here's to a great year of cooking ahead! Let me know what you have planned in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment