Sunday, January 8, 2012

Other Favorite Holiday Recipes

Since most of our family members live in the DC area, we celebrate holidays as a big group. We try to rotate locations and then everyone pitches in to bring food. Since we didn't end up hosting Thanksgiving or Christmas this year, I was in charge of bringing side dishes. Here are links to some of the things that I made:

Pan-Fried Onion Dip


Recipe from Ina Garten. This is a party favorite. And really easy to make. I don't even use a mixer.



Another great appetizer that my sister made is baked brie. You take a wheel of brie (leave the rind on), smother it with raspberry jam, then cover the whole thing with crescent roll dough (or puff pastry). Serve with crackers or bread.


Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Sweet Onion, and Apple




Recipe from The Washington Post. Everyone loved these, even those who claimed to not like brussels sprouts. They are such an underrated vegetable. Also pictured is my mother-in-law's sweet potato casserole and my sister's corn pudding. I'll try to get the links to those recipes and add them here.


Kale and Butternut Squash Gratin




Recipe from The Washington Post. This was probably the favorite side dish I made for Thanksgiving this year. It is so delicious - perfect use of fall vegetables from the farmer's market. Also pictured is my mom's stuffing, which is one of those recipes that is not written down - everyone just knows how to make it.


Fennel and Apricot Slaw




Recipe from The Chicago Sun-Times. Fennel is a very polarizing ingredient. I happen to love it, and I thought this slaw was a good contrast to all the heavy food served during a holiday meal. Also pictured is my cranberry sauce (made using the recipe on the bag, except I substitute orange juice for the water) and my sister's dinner rolls, which are so fantastic. I need to get the recipe for those.


Here are some more photos from the holidays.




No comments:

Post a Comment