Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Banana Chocolate Chip Bread

Last post of the day. Thought you might want to know what I'm eating for a snack as I work on my blog. I really like quick-breads and muffins because you can usually whip them up with what you have on hand. In this case, I had a bunch of really ripe bananas. I usually throw in a handful of chocolate chips, because who doesn't like chocolate chips??? And it ensures that my super-picky older son will try some! You can leave them out and/or add some chopped nuts.


Banana-Chocolate Chip Bread
Using a mixer, cream 6 Tbsp softened unsalted butter and 1/2 cup sugar. Add 3 mashed ripe bananas, 1 tsp vanilla, 3 beaten eggs, and 1/2 cup of buttermilk, and mix until combined. In a bowl, stir together 2 cups AP flour (you can use up to half whole wheat flour - I like King Arthur's white whole wheat), 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp salt. Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and mix until combined. Add 3/4 cup of chocolate chips. Pour batter into a greased 9" x 5" loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Don't have buttermilk? For every cup needed, add 1 Tbsp white vinegar to slightly less than 1 cup of milk. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment