Sunday, January 30, 2011

Nutella Muffins

I'm back! The past week our whole family got sick and then we had a snowstorm and power outage. Needless to say, not much cooking got done.

I finally have my appetite back, and I wanted something sweet. I found a jar of Nutella in the pantry the other day, so I decided to make these super simple muffins - they're like a brownie, really. If you've never had Nutella (and don't have nut allergies), get yourself to the store! It's a super yummy chocolate hazelnut spread that is totally addicting. I first had it as a crepe filling, but it's great on toast or crackers or with fruit like bananas and apples (or just eaten right off the spoon - ssh, don't tell).



To make the muffins, beat two eggs in a medium size bowl. Add one cup of Nutella, half a cup plus two tablespoons of AP flour, and one cup of chocolate chips and mix until smooth. Fill 24 greased mini-muffin cups, and bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Cool about 5 minutes, then use a knife to pop them out of the pan. If you don't have mini-muffin pans, you could probably use regular muffin pans but you'd need to increase the cook time, maybe to 18 minutes?

4 comments:

  1. Those look and sound wonderful!

    At the moment I am making a box mix of Ghirardelli double chocolate brownies (in a 9" glass pie plate as I cannot find the 8" square glass baking dish!)...but I do love the Nutella I am dangerous with it as I can eat a LOT at a sitting....mindlessly scoping up spoonfuls...And did you ever try or do you recall the little squares of hazelnut chocolate bites called "Ice Cubes?" Divine - used to get them at a Wawa in a plastic box by the checkout. They are somewhat firm and would just melt into th mouth in a soft cool smooth way; hence the name).

    Unfortunately Trenton & Trinity are allergic to tree nuts, so no Nutella. They do like combos of PB & chocolate....thanks for posting this; I may try it soon or at least pick up a small jar of Nutella (great on pancakes and waffles, too...with bananas...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. - I have not changed my Google ID so still in maiden name....sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Nutella, but I am lactose intolerant and it has milk in it. When I have the time, I make my own dairy-free nutella. It's awesome, but a bit time consuming since you have to roast and peel the skins off the hazelnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a whole booklet of Nutella recipes!! As a kid, we would just spread some on a freshly baked baguette for breakfast or "gouter" (snack). Your muffins look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete