Friday, January 21, 2011

Tofu

I like variety. I rarely cook the same thing twice. I am always tweaking recipes and looking for new things to try. One thing that took me a long time to learn how to prepare was tofu.

Here's what I do:
  1. I buy only extra-firm tofu. I find it easier to work with and I like the texture better.
  2. After draining, I wrap it in a dish towel, squeeze out some moisture, and then let it sit for about 5 minutes.
  3. I dice it into small cubes.
  4. I saute it in olive oil and season it well. Otherwise, it's kind of bland. Tonight, I sauteed garlic in the oil first and then after I added the tofu, I seasoned it with salt and curry powder.
  5. The trick is to leave the tofu in the pan for 5 minutes before turning it. This allows it to brown and get crispy on the outside.


Tonight, I'm serving the tofu in a warm salad of sorts. There's arugula on the bottom, then curried couscous with currants, bell peppers, broccoli, the tofu, and then a little feta cheese sprinkled on top. Yum!



The tofu and couscous and veggies could also be served in a flatbread or tortilla.

5 comments:

  1. Looks yummy!! Have you tried cooking tempeh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I've never seen that in the store. I'm not sure I've ever had it. Is it better than tofu?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann-Marie, this looks delish. If you boil the tofu in cubes then sdrain and press, the texture will firm up even more. If you're up for an adventure stop in at an Asian market (I'm sure there's one or two around 7C) for more options in tofu and bean curd. They often have "soy cutlets" and seasoned and unseasoned baked tofu that is denser even than extra-firm. Also, if you ever see "soy puffs" buy them in bulk. They're addicting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know, I've never had tempeh but I've seen it in many recent cookbooks (The Kind Diet, Clean Food, etc...) and I'm curious to try it.

    ReplyDelete