Saturday, January 22, 2011

French Toast

I love breakfast; it is my favorite meal of the day. On the weekend, I make more elaborate breakfasts. We are able to sit around the table, read the paper (we still get the "dead tree" version), and linger over a cup of coffee. Thankfully, our kids are old enough to amuse themselves now, although they usually sit at the table with us for some of that time.

Today, I had half a leftover loaf of bread that I had bought to make croutons, so I decided to make french toast. This is my favorite recipe, based on one from Alton Brown. I love it because it uses honey rather than sugar.

To make the custard dipping mixture, whisk together 1 cup of milk (Alton uses half and half, but that's too rich for me), 3 eggs, 1/4 tsp salt, and 2 Tbsp honey. Depending on the type of honey you have, you might need to heat it in the microwave for 10-20 sec beforehand or else it won't mix easily - I have local honey and it isn't as thick, so I don't need to heat it first.

Heat a pan with 1-2 Tbsp butter, dip the bread into the custard to coat it thoroughly, then place it into the pan and cook for about 3 minutes per side.


I have a two-burner griddle pan, which is perfect for this. I have to take this opportunity to thank both our sets of parents, sisters, and brother for giving us this awesome new range for Christmas. Our old one was about 20 years old, and the thermostat in the oven was really off (we would have to set it back 50-75 degrees). My favorite part of the new stove is the continuous grate and 5 burners!

No comments:

Post a Comment